runway review: isabel marant spring 2012

by - 7:46 AM

There is something about watching  clicking through galleries of the new runway shows that makes me want to take a pair of scissors to my closet and see what happens.

Isabel Marant's collection for spring 2012 is no different. She mixed bright colors and textures in a retro-chic style that was very reminiscent of my grandmother's craft closet. Each of my favorite looks has an overarching I-could-buy-that-at-the-thrift-store kinda feel.

 images via {style}


Any self-proclaimed fashionista of the '80s has a soft spot for acid washed denim, however deep dark and secretive it may be. I'm not quite sure about wearing floral print pants with this look, but I adore this jacket. Her design aesthetic is perfect--rugged metal embellishments and orange Indian-themed designs add a lovely decorative flair to what would be an otherwise outdated look. 


Remember the metal body-chain trend that was way too leash-like for any respectable fashionista to wear? This dress is totally a totally awesome and appropriate version of that trend, in a fun bright red shade. Plus, I can't help but be reminded of those weave-your-own potholder kits when I look at the braided halter detail of this dress. This dress is the perfect blend of color, texture wrapped up in a cute nostalgically crafty package.  



Ah, peasant tops how I love you so. The floral detailing is gorgeous on the sheer fabric, and the tassels are so delicate and feminine. '80s babies don't really do tie-dye (sooo '90s) but I can't get enough of the subtle dyed effect on this linen pair. 



The styling of this look is quite unrealistic; I have a strict no-pants-there's-a-problem policy, but the texture of the lace inspires me to dig through the racks of vintage tablecloths and curtains and make myself a shift dress just. like. this. It's modern yet vintage, sheer but modest. A floor length lace caftan would be otherwise boring if it weren't for the interesting and somewhat geometric pattern of the weave, and the wide boat neck. I need one immediately.


For nighttime, a cropped curtain dress in black layered over a sparkly disco ball silver dress. When you're done wearing this out on the town, ditch the slinky number and wear this over some skinnies and a black blouse for a Stevie Nicks vibe. 


I'm seriously digging the old lady vibes of this dress: the neckline of a pussy-bow blouse, made modern with a super tight skirt in a golden lamé material. Ever seen those leather patchwork bags that seem to multiply at thrift stores, in monochromatic leather? This fabric is definitely inspired by the same subtle pattern of a patchwork feel. 



This crocheted dress is gorgeous in silver. Knitted dresses are hard to pull off, but the large diagonal knit of this is so youthful and fun. Let the texture do the talking instead of the color; this is definitely a grown up chain mail dress sans the Renaissance fair threat of a hammered-metal-dress. 


 My second favorite look of the collection, probably because Santa never brought me that be dazzler I wanted to this day for years on end. As if this look wasn't kick-ass enough, she's layered it over a deep v-neck with crochet detail and fringe



Are you digging the hippy-crafter chic look from Mme Marant?


bisous,

You May Also Like

2 comments

Merci pour des commentaires! Thanks for letting me know what you think!